Below is a list of my favorite relationships quotes that have kept me grounded over the years:
- Love is committing to someone when they least deserve ~ Toyosi Erogbogbo
- Many marriages would be better if the husband and wife clearly understood that they’re on the same side ~ Zig Ziglar
- Divorce is worse than physical death ~ Dr. Myles Monroe
- Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised ~ Proverbs 31-30
- Any boy can sleep around, however it takes a man to be faithful ~Toyosi Erogbogbo
- The reason you don’t cheat on your spouse is not because he/she is fine, attractive or loving; the reason you don’t cheat on your spouse is because you fear God. It is the same reason singles don’t fornicate.
- I have never seen or heard couples say “I wish we slept together before we got married”; however I often hear couples say “I wish we didn’t sleep together before marriage”
- Are you who the person you are looking for is looking for? ~ Andy Stanley
- The best preparation for marriage is to maximize the use of the single years for the Lord. Your focus should be on becoming the person God ordained you to be, sharpening your skill set and developing godly friendship. This approach maximizes the potential for pure friendships rooted in God’s love because the approach focuses on attention to all but intention towards none. ~Bill Thrasher
- Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor ~ Ecclesiastes 4:9
- Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken ~ Ecclesiastes 4:12
- Houses and riches are an inheritance from fathers, But a prudent wife is from the Lord ~ Proverbs 19:14
- Marriage is a magnifying glass that examines the character of the people involved.
- Being married is not being better off than being single. The married life is not better than the single life. They both have their purpose, their pleasure and their own set of unique challenges and problems, but one is not better than the other ~ Debbie Adebayo
- Singleness is not a disease to be cured neither is it a problem to be solved; but a time to enjoy and bask in the presence of God.
- Marriage is built on purpose ~ Dr. Kayode Ijisesan
- Marriage in itself is not your purpose. Marriage is a tool to serve God’s purpose for your life ~ Rev George Adegboye
- “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh ~ Genesis 2:24. The question is why have you decided to cleave to that particular individual?
- The feeling of divorce signifies pain in marriage. You can either marry that feeling and divorce your spouse or divorce that feeling and marry your spouse ~ Toyosi Erogbogbo
- There is no perfect marriage, however the goal in marriage is to strive for perfection
The Advice …
To the singles, understand that you are in the foundational stage of your life. Being Single is not a disease to be cured but a time to get comfortable in your own skin and be separated to God. You have the ability to impact the marriage statistics positively or negatively. Understand that you don’t have to get married however if you chose to get married, ensure that you play it according to the rules of the one who created marriage.
To those in courtship, understand that the foundation you lay in this phase goes a long way in marriage. Foundation is laid at the beginning of a relationship, reinforced in courtship, tested in marriage and validated by fulfilling the plan and purpose of God. Ensure that you move beyond superficiality and volatility of emotions to facing substance such as conflict resolution and compromise.
To the married, marriage is a journey that gets better over time and not a destination. The word of God should be at the foundation of your union as Christ is the foundation. Marriage flourishes through value added growth, where growth is a function of the value you add to your spouse. Seek to add value to your spouse and ensure that you don’t take your spouse for granted or become complacent in your role. The feeling of divorce signifies pain in marriage. You can either marry that feeling and divorce your spouse or divorce that feeling and marry your spouse.
To the unsaved, get saved and enjoy marital bliss in Christ; get saved and walk in God’s plan and purpose for your life. Stop toiling in marriage. You cannot enjoy God’s plan for marriage if you don’t acknowledge Him. Someone says, “Well I know Christian marriages that have failed. I know Christian couples that still struggle like I do.” I know quite a few as well. I can confidently tell you something went wrong. Not sure what, but something went wrong. Any Christian who diligently applies the principles of God in life and marriage cannot fail. As always, understand that marriage is a journey not a destination that gets better over time if the governing principles are in place.
Love Always ~ T.E